Thursday, November 29, 2007

Day 76:198

Ok.. so I think this is a good sign. Usually my weight will go up in the middle of the week by 2 or 3 pounds because of all the running and weight lifting. This week I seem to be holding steady at one weight.. maybe it means there will be a great loss on Monday. Whatever the reason.. I dont mind it.

I joined Sparkpeople yesterday and am keeping track of my calories that way. I HATE doing it, but I think it is a necessity. So far I am liking the site.. we'll see how I like it after logging all my food today! :)

So, I DID read some of my healthy living books yesterday but nothing really popped out at me. Kinda sad, really. So I flipped over to my RUNNER'S magazine and came across this gem:

"No Need For Speed"

I AM A RUNNER because my runs have names. I do tempo runs and threshold runs and fartlek runs. I do long, slow runs and track workouts. My runs are defined, even if my abs are not.

I AM A RUNNER because my shoes are training equipment, not a fashion statement. The best shoe for me it the one that makes me a better runner. I choose the shoe that goes with my running mechanics, not my running outfit.

I AM A RUNNER because I don't have running outfits. I have technical shirts and shorts and socks. I have apparel that enhances the experience of running by allowing me to run comfortably. I can say "Coolmax" and "Gore-Tex" in the same sentence and know which does what.

I AM A RUNNER because I know what effort feels like, and I embrace it. I know when I'm pushing the limits of my comfort and why I'm doing it. I know that heavy breathing and an accelerated heart rate -things I once avoided- are necessary if I want to be a better runner

I AM A RUNNER because I value and respect my body. It will whisper to me when I've done too much. And if I choose to listen to that whisper, my body won't have to scream in pain later on.

I AM A RUNNER because I am willing to lay in all on the line. I know that every finish line has the potential to lift my spirits to new highs or devastate me, yet I line up anyway.

I AM A RUNNER because I know that despite my best effort, I will always want more from myself. I will always want to know my limits so that I can exceed them.

I AM A RUNNER because I run. Not because I run fast. Not because I run far.

I AM A RUNNER because I say I am. And no one can tell me I'm not.

Waddle on friends!

- BY JOHN BINGHAM "I AM NOT A JOGGER: I MAY WADDLE WHEN I RUN, BUT I'M RUNNING ALL THE SAME."



So as Bingham says.... WADDLE ON FRIENDS!!!

8 comments:

Fatinah said...

I'm on sparkpeople also (fatinahdc is my user name). Mostly I just do challenges on there - but I love the site! I really think it will make a difference for you - you have the calorie burning down to an art.....

Anonymous said...

Of course you are a runner. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

You are out there (well, on the treadmill) daily, slogging away. Which counts for sooo much.

Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

I just started sparkpeople on Tuesday. So far its pretty cool, even though I hate tracking my eating. ahha :-)

Anonymous said...

hi tl keep on slogging but, you wont ever be able to catch them muffin mashers if they don't want you to/
de

Laura N said...

Oh I love John Bingham. You should read his book, No Need for Speed. It's what I read last summer when I first started running. REALLY inspirational and confirming of your running ability, whatever it is.

Glad to see your weight staying steady in mid week. Sure to be a big loss next week!

Sarah said...

inspiring post!

P.O.M. said...

I love that. I am so sad becuase I can't run right now. I am really looking forward to gettin' back at it.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Waddle on - that's cute. :-) I'm NOT a runner. Never have been, never will be. Will just cheer from the sidelines. In basic training I got shin splints so they let me walk the physical test. Had to walk twice as
s far as the run, but I didn't mind. You are doing GREAT!
Path to Health