Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Sugar Jones

I came across this in the Powerfood Nutrition Plan book that my husband bought the other day...I thought it was interesting:

The Sugar Jones

Recent studies suggest that sugar may be able to turn some folks into junkies pretty easily. Researchers in the psychology department at Princeton University gave rats a steady diet of sugar and then abserved the physical symptoms and changes in brain chemistry induced by chemical dependance. Subsequently, once sugar was eliminated from their diets, the rodents had the shakes: chattering teeth, forepaw and head tremors, and increased anxiety during maze tests.

Researchers now believe that the similarities are because the same chemical reactions that get us hooked to drugs take place when we have too much sugar.

Some guys are more prone than others to addictions, and that certainly applies to sugar as well. To find out whether you are addicted , as yourself the following questions:

1. Do you crave sugar daily? If you feel satisfied after eating something sweet when nothing else will do the trick, or you get a headache or become crabby or shaky when you can't get your sugar fix, you might be addicted.

2. How many teaspoons of added sugar do you eat in a day? If it's more then 8 to 10 teaspoons and your not usings sugar specifically for training, you may have a sugar problem. (One teaspoon equals 4 grams of simple carbohydrates)

3. Can you cut your daily sugar consumption in half without feeling sluggish, jittery or shaky?

4 comments:

Cory said...

That's interesting. I'm going to have to spend some time evaluating if I am addicted to sugar.

PearShapedGirl said...

Well, I know I'm not addicted to sugar, because I don't care for sweet things and dislike soda and candy. I DO think I'm addicted to SALT though, I feel like I NEED it on everything! I need to address that issue before it gets too out of control...

So it looks like we have the same goal weight now! And we're starting at almost exactly the same weight... we have to keep each other on track! Not a race (I can't handle "pressure", haha), but just a model of reference. We're going to look hot for Christmas 2007! Woohoo!

That's too funny about the chili/curry supper coincidence!

Take care,
PSG

DadTo2 said...

Addicted to sugar...hmmm...

I very well could have been addicted to sugar, or caffine, just not sure which. I used to drink (or could if my wife would have let me)a 12 pack of soda and 5 to 8 cups of coffee a day. Yes, I said a day.

Well, my wife said that I was a bear after taking that much caffine, but I wonder if it may have been the sugar. Anyway, I finally cut out sodas completely, cold turkey one day about 2 months ago (that was much harder than quitting smoking) and I am down to 2 cups of coffee a day, with flavored splenda instead of sugar...I feel much better now so maybe it was the sugar.

Good post.

Hope your little one is doing better.

Galen

jeannie* said...

I have no idea if I'm addicted! Now I'm a little nervous. I think I'm only addicted to sugar when Im PMSing. hahaha. Cause I CRAVE and NEED it then :) But the rest of the month I think I'm ok.

Though I'm going to keep a close watch on it now. Thanks for the info!