Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Faith and Determination



The longer this fight for health continues, the more determined I seem to get to see the goal. Yesterday fall back was depressing for me, but without hesitation I continued my daily schedule. My workout was a doozy... nothing changing other then the fact that I was a little mad at myself, so I pushed myself a little bit harder on everything. I think the main part of me wanting to see the goal is not only being healthier and having a knock out body, but because I am tired of giving up on myself. There is a reason I have gotten this heavy over the years, and it wasn't because I became a good cook. Every diet I started I would end with a mouth full of chocolate and a thought of... 'if I'm meant to be fat, then so be it'. But I know better. I always have. This time I'm not going to let myself give up. I deserve so much more, and I want to give it to myself. It may not be the 'change of lifestyle' that I am trying to achieve, but it is definitely a change of mind that is necessary.

As for what I have been doing... I have been keeping track of my calories on Fitday.com for a month now.. keeping them between 1200 and 1500 calories, with the occasional set back of 3500 calorie break downs! ... I exercise 6 days a week, twice daily. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are my weight training with bands, stability ball ... Tuesday and Thursday are my Abs and BL workouts. Saturday I have 3 hours of Kempo. Sunday is a rest day. Now I thought I was doing right.. and maybe I am. Hubby thinks that my body is getting ready to change. My measurement have changed a little, and he says I am definitely looking better. So maybe my body is just busy building muscle and will drop all this fat next month! LOL.. I sure hope so. Anyway... I was cruising the web and found a site about body building and weight loss that said the best way to lose weight is slow and steady.. Ok, I've got that down... and they gave a mathematical formula to determine how many calories you should be eating to lose weight.

15 X (your current weight) = X - 500 = Calories to be eaten

OK... so here is mine

15 X 208 = 3120 - 500 = 2620

Holy Cow!! That is 1000 calories more a day then what I've been eating. So is my problem NOT eating enough?? Or did they just pull these numbers out of their butt and I should stick to what I've been doing?? Hmmmmmm this is confusing.

So, what I have decided to do for the next month is simple. I will continue with my workouts because I really enjoy them. As for eating.. I will eat healthy and small portions. I will continue to keep track of calories, but will not limit myself to 1500. I will continue my water and tea. I will keep doing this until my body wakes up from its dormant sleep and realizes that it is 2 months behind the rest of me!

As for my SIL... eh, who cares. I realized last night that I really don't care what she does. In a way it will still give me some determination the next 3 months... and I will use that... but in the BIG scheme of things, I already know I don't need her to reach my goal!

Ok... so enough of this. It's time to start my day and get this body moving. Thanks to everyone who left comments yesterday, I really appreciated them.

Have a Blessed Day

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My measurement as of this morning compared to two weeks ago:

Measurements at 6 wks / 8 wks
Thighs= 27.5 / 26.75
Hips = 44 / 44
Below Navel= 46 / 44
At Navel = 40 / 39.5
Above Navel= 39 / 37.5
Arms = 14 / 13.5

total inches lost : 5.25 IN TWO WEEKS!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

See! You did change over the past few weeks! Sometimes the scale can be an enemy.

RE: Food intake. 1200 calories? Krikey! I am not an RD or anything but I really don't think 1200 is alot of calories/food in one day. Esp. if you are exercising and running after 2 little ones.
If you don't eat enough calories, your body metabolism SLOWS down and hoards everything you put into it, thinking it's going to starve for the next while.
A runner friend of mine is an RD and thinks that
1) Scales should be thrown out. They play mind games.
2) Eat. And make sure you eat enough and the right food.
3) Go at it methodically and slowly and it will work.

You can do it. Ignore the scale. Go by how you look, feel and measurements, they are more reflective of your body.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, it's me. AGAIN. Sorry to bug ya!

OK, 2600 calories may be going too far the OTHER way.

I know, it's hard to sort out what is right from "do they pull the numbers out of their butt"

For the most part, I don't even eat 2600 calories/day. Yesterday was an exception, damn Paczkis.

Maybe try 1800 and see how that works first.
I'll pick my friends brain for more info on nutrition etc. She's been a RD for 10+ years and is very active so she knows a lot of stuff.

~~Midnight Raider~~ said...

I agree... 1,200 is too low, but 2,600 is probably too high. You are extremely active. I'd say 1,800 to 2,000 is probably right for slow & steady weight loss (given your activity level). When I eat to maintain my weight (not lose), I usually eat 2,000 to 2,200 calories a day.

The formula from that bodybuilding site (15Xweight-500) is just a rough estimate. Things like your metabolism, build, activity level, etc. will change that formula. Also, bodybuilders tend to err on the side of "extra" calories, because they worry about losing muscle.

One other note: it sounds like you're getting plenty of exercise--and a nice variety, too. How long have you been doing this routine? If it's been a while, you may want to change things up. Use free weights instead of exercise bands. Or increase the intensity of your cardio once a week. Or try a completely different cardio. Just something to keep your muscles challenged.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

ok tl my whole system is now working; please do not worry about things you just keep doing what you think you need to do there are always setbacks as long as you have the love and support of mcduff nothing elase really matters

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you for not giving up that would be the easy way out.
YOu can do it and I know you can!
I am so proud of you for continuing
the challenge.
I love you
Mama

WeightWatchnWoman said...

I don't know about the calorie intake, but I weigh more than you and my doctor suggested that I eat 1800-2000 calories a day for weight loss. So I would think 2600 would be too much!!!

Good luck!!! You will do fine!!!

Anonymous said...

Cool - you have the traineo buttons like me! I thought it would be neat to see what calories I burn in a week!

Keep it up, you're doing GREAT!